Could not find the file flash.ocx
Some third party screen savers are designed to make use of the flash player software when running.
A third-party screen saver is something that has been installed and is very different than the built in screen saver that is part of Windows.
These screen savers are hard coded to reference the file flash.ocx and recent version of Macromedia’s (Adobe) Flash application now name the same file flash9.ocx or even flash9c.ocx etc.
Which results in the errors such as;
- “Could not find the file flash.ocx”
- cant find file flash.ocx
- cannot find file flash ocx
I may also reference other versions such as flash.ocx flash9b.ocx, flash9c.ocx flash9e.ocx
To fix this simple problem, you have two options.
<!–ADS_INT largerect –>
The first one would be to simply uninstall the screen saver. Once that is done the error will go away, but you will no longer have use of the screen saver.
The second option is pretty straight forward, and will allow you to continue using your screensaver as normal
You will need to find the flash9.ocx file and copy it as the file flash.ocx. (or download the attached flash.ocx)
To do this:
1. Browse to the C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder.
2. Locate the flash9.ocx file and right click it and select copy.
3. Right click in a blank spot of the same folder and select paste.
4. You will then find you have a file called Copy of Flash9.ocx in the folder.
5. Right click the new file and select rename and rename to flash.ocx
Once complete you should notice your screensaver functioning again and the error long gone.